This is Course 8 of the Program “Establishing a Data Management Function.”
This course is an advanced training course for data management professionals. This course has several objectives:
- Share knowledge and assist in developing practical skills to design the metadata management (MM) and data lineage capabilities within the scope required for a data management initiative
- Explain key components that constitute these capabilities
- Assist in developing the MM capability that fits your company’s needs and resources
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Design the metadata management (MM) capability that fits your company’s needs and resources
- Develop a policy
- Develop a standard: “Data lineage”
- Design MM-related roles and processes
- Define requirements for an MM solution
- Assess the necessary budget
- Perform a quick maturity assessment and develop an action plan
What Will You Learn?
- • Design the metadata management (MM) capability that fits your company’s needs and resources
- • Develop a policy “Metadata management”
- • Develop a standard: “Data lineage”
- • Design MDM-related roles and processes
- • Define requirements for an MDM solution
- • Assess the necessary budget
- • Perform a quick maturity assessment and develop an action plan
Introducing the “Data Management Star” Implementation Method
This section provides a high-level overview of the “Data Management Star” implementation method and its Step 2. This method forms the basis for the program “Establishing a Data Management Function.” In this section, we introduce Step 2 of this method, “Defining a DM strategy and designing capabilities.”
Introducing the “Data Management Star” Implementation Method05:54
Introducing a Metadata Management Capability
This section introduces several key concepts: “Metadata” and “Metadata Management.” We consider several key Metadata Management sub-capabilities required for a data management initiative. In the end, we present six components of the metadata management capability that we will develop in this course.
Introducing a Metadata Management Capability16:12
Defining Metadata Management Deliverables
This section will Introduction to key metadata management deliverables required for data management: a data lifecycle model, a data lineage metamodel, and documented metadata and data lineage.
Defining Metadata Management Deliverables19:19
Defining Metadata Management Regulations
This section highlights the content of a policy, “Metadata management,” and a standard, “Data Lineage.” These documents regulate the metadata management capability.
Defining Metadata Management Regulations18:33
Defining Metadata Management Processes
This section presents several key metadata management processes.
Defining Metadata Management Processes03:54
Identifying Metadata Management Roles
This section discusses the roles required to perform this capability at the tactical and operational levels. It demonstrates an example of the RACI matrix.
Identifying Metadata Management Roles04:21
Choosing a Metadata Management Tool
This section explains several definitions of several terms “tool,” “need,” “requirement,” “solution,” “software product,” and “functionality. Then, we demonstrate how to choose a Metadata Management tool by defining requirements for IT solutions, products, and functionality that meet a company’s needs and requirements.
Choosing a Metadata Management Tool07:28
Specifying a Metadata Management Budget
This section discusses the factors that influence a Metadata Management budget and represents the budget structure.
Specifying a Metadata Management Budget03:48
Developing Further Steps
This section demonstrates a method to assess the current and desired statuses of the Metadata Management capability. It also advises on drafting an action plan to reach the desired level.
Developing Further Steps03:26
Student Ratings & Reviews
No Review Yet